Provincial KidsFirst Overview
KidsFirst is a provincially funded and directed program for vulnerable families with young children in Saskatchewan. It incorporates a strategy for flexible local implementation and decision making within prescribed provincial program parameters. It is the Province of Saskatchewan’s response to the early childhood development initiative by the Federal Government. The Early Childhood Programs, Policy and Design Unit within the Province of Saskatchewan has dedicated a sum of money to the KidsFirst Program to enhance early learning, support and empower families, and increase awareness of the importance of early child development and stimulation.
Provincial KidsFirst Communities
As provincial resources do not allow for the KidsFirst Program to be available throughout the province, a community selection process was used to identify communities and neighborhoods which have high numbers of vulnerable families. The following factors were used in the selection process:
- Poverty as indicated by proportion of individuals on social assistance;
- Incidence of high and low birth weight;
- Hospitalization rates for children under one year of age;
- Single parent rates.
KidsFirst Programs currently are available in the following communities throughout Saskatchewan:
- KYRHA Region (La Loche, Buffalo Narrows, Ile a la Crosse, Beauval & Green Lake)
- MCRRHA Region (Pinehouse Lake, La Ronge, Sandy Bay, Creighton, Denare Beach)
- AHA Region (Stony Rapids)
- KTH Region (Cumberland House)
And other outlying communities.
- Meadow Lake
- Moose Jaw
- North Battleford
- Prince Albert